- Patients & Caregivers
- Memory Assessment and Research Center
- Participate in a Research Study
- Family Education Series
Memory Assessment and Research Center
The UCI MIND Memory Assessment and Research Center provides clinical evaluations and diagnosis, recommendations, and treatment plans. The Memory Assessment and Research Center offers many opportunities for participation in research but does not provide continuing care.
How do I make an appointment at the Memory Assessment and Research Center?
Call (949) 824-2382 Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM and speak to one of our friendly patient care coordinators.
What information do I need in order to make an appointment?
Please have the following information available:
- Patient information (name, address, and telephone number)
- Date of birth and social security number
- Insurance information (name, policy/group number)
- Primary doctor information (name, address, and telephone number)
All of these pieces are necessary to complete the scheduling process.
What does the evaluation involve?
The evaluation includes:
- Clinical Interview – One of our professional staff will interview a family member or close friend about the patient’s health and day-to-day functioning.
- Neuropsychological assessment – An examiner will administer a variety of paper-and-pencil tests to assess your memory and thinking skills.
- Neurological examination – Our neurologist will evaluate your physical well being and functional nervous system.
- Neuroimaging – As needed, our neurologist will order images of your brain to look for structural and metabolic changes
- Laboratory Tests – Of blood and urine to check for possible contributors to any cognitive difficulties.
- Family Conference – Our neurologist and neuropsychologist will provide results of the evaluation to the family. You will receive the diagnosis and recommendations suited to you. If eligible, you will also be invited to volunteer for any of our ongoing research studies. Note: We do not provide continuing care. All recommendations will be sent to your primary care doctor or neurologist for follow up.
How long does the evaluation take
A complete evaluation, from start to finish, takes from 4-6+ weeks to complete. Depending on the tests required for the evaluation, the time from the first appointment to the family conference may be slightly longer or shorter. The amount of time required to complete each component of the evaluation is:
- Clinical Interview – 1 hour, generally completed with the family member during the patient’s neuropsychological assessment.
- Neuropsychological Assessment – 2-2.5 hours